Nkauj Laug Series
1. How old are you?
I am 31 years old and will be 32 in three more months.
2. What is your current relationship status?
I am single. I recently just got out of a 10-year relationship that ended up not working out.
3. Are you trying to pursue a relationship?
I am not trying to pursue a relationship at the moment because I am more focused on trying to get my life together.
4. What is dating like at your age?
Dating at my age is bolder because people already know what they want and go straight to business. People look for certain things and stick to it instead of trying to see what the other person wants. A lot of people are ready to get settled down instead of just out there trying to have a good time.
5. Do you date non-Hmong men?
I do but I am always open to date Hmong. I just haven't found the right one.
6. How many siblings do you have, and what is your birth order? Are they married or single? How does that affect the pressure on you to get married?
I have 5 siblings: 3 sisters and 2 brothers. I am one of the middle child and the only single one among my siblings. All my siblings are married and some have children. I don't feel pressured to get married, but my parents are always reminding me that I can't be fully successful if I don't get married. My parents still support me if I decide to stay single because I still have a few years of school left then I can live my life.
7. Are your parents divorced or together?
My parents are still together.
8. Have you had an opportunity for marriage?
I did but decided not to go forward with marriage because I wanted to finish school first and be successful first.
9. What are your parents', siblings', and extended families' perspective on marriage for you?
I can't say for my siblings because they support me in whatever I decide on. My parents do lecture me about not being married then turns around and says that I don't need to rush into marriage. Mostly everyone is married in my extended families, and they don't get involved in my love life. I have a very supportive family plus there is plenty of grandchildren running around for my parents to watch. I mentioned to my family about being a single parent, and my family supports me on whatever decision I make. But that's something for the future since I am still trying to live life in the present.